Life is a journey, and it steers me in unpredictable directions. My plans are only minor, compared to the major adventures that God has for me.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Finding Life's Passion


I've heard it from my mother my whole life, that work builds character and that she isn't a free money dispenser. My mother's wholesome advice inspired me to get my lazy and well relaxed behind, to go get a job. I worked at a pizzeria for my whole high school experience. Let me say, that not only was I an amazing pizza maker, I learned some unwanted lessons of hard labor. Pizza making isn't rocket science but it is an environment that can get intense, confusing, and having my arms and legs in nonstop commotion. I come to find out, if there is a satisfied customer there is a joyous and calm employee. Those horrific moments when the customer asked for no pepperoni and magically they appeared on their pizza, is a mysterious predicament. Getting yelled and threatened at for making tiny mistakes, that is easily fixable. People react like it is the end of the world or their dog just got ran over. I'm sorry to say, ladies and gentlemen, it is only just a pizza. Departing from that job was indeed a bittersweet experience. Making friendships that will last a lifetime but gladly not having the smell of greasy pizza after every workday. Not knowing it, another job landed in my lap, and it has changed my life forever.

The author, William Barclay said,” There are two great days in a person's life -- the day we are born and the day we discover why." I always thought that I was going to do something with art or anything in that general sense. Although, I still do it as a hobby, it is not what I'm most passionate about. Looking down the road I've had the title of; janitor, pizza maker, cashier, sister, daughter and even loyal friend. Some of those are greater than others, but pausing my life and my issues' and having total and complete focus on some one else is a humbling experience. The title I'm most proud and honored to be associated with is, caregiver.

I got the amazing opportunity to work with those that have special needs. I have worked with all ages and mostly work with those that have autism. From very low functioning to very high, the clients that I get to work with have a huge place in my heart that nobody can touch. I'm there to help them along in everyday life, and try to make them the most independent person they can be. Working in this field has made me a very patience and well rounded person. Better preparing me for the outlook on being a mother and the responsibilities of having a child. At times you have your bad moments, although those amazing and loving moments that nobody can take from you, make it all worth it. Being a coach for Special Olympics is a unforgettable and awe inspiring moment. I have never felt so much genuine love and kindness that seem to follow you everywhere you went at that event. I've met a lot of people in my lifetime, and to this day I have never met a greater example of God's love. I hope to have the honor to teach the special needs. Being able to walk beside and spend time with them throughout their life experiences. My job is to teach them new things everyday, but there is no question in my mind that, they are the ones teaching me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
When it comes down to it, I love basically everything. I love to love and love to share my life's experience. Writing a blog is my own personal therapy session.